If this is your first time playing in one of these tournaments (or your first time attending one) here are a few things that may help you prepare for the day
Information to Know:
- All players must arrive and check-in by 8:30am on the day of the tournament.
- Anyone not signed in by 9am will miss playing in the first round, giving the player a distinct disadvantage if he/she is trying for a trophy or a medal.
- Each player in each section will play all four rounds.
- No players are eliminated for their wins, losses, or stalemates. If there is an emergency and a player needs to leave, please let the Tournament Director on the computer know that the player needs to be removed from being paired in further rounds.
- Only players and Tournament Directors are allowed in the tournament room while rounds are in play.
- Parents & Guardians may not watch the games in play. This is to ensure that the players are able to concentrate and play without interruption or assistance from onlookers.
- If there is any dispute or disagreement, a player must notify a Tournament Director immediately.
- Players have to raise their hands and talk to the Tournament Director if something is wrong. Once a game is over and players leave the board, there will not be any further discussion regarding a result.
- Immediately following the completion of a game, each player will set up the board, record the result by signing the results paper, and return to the waiting room.
- You can expect to wait anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour between games, depending on when you finish. Parents will normally bring something to do during the wait.
- This is an all-volunteer(-all-the-time) organization.
- Everything that happens throughout the day is through the help of volunteers. If you want to help, please ask and we can find something for you to do!
- There will be a concessions stand in the waiting area that sells Pizza, Hot Dogs, Candy, Chips, Soda, Water, and Coffee and Doughnuts in the morning.
- Profits from the concessions go towards paying for trophies, medals, and other supplies for the tournament. Please help contribute if you can!
- The day will be long, but we will try to get you out as quickly as possible.
- Come prepared to sit from 8:30am-2:30pm. We always aim to be done before then, but with every player needing to finish their game before the round can advance, some rounds will take longer than others.
- There will be an Awards Ceremony immediately following the completion of the final game in the 4th round.
- Players with 2.5 points or higher will be eligible for a medal or trophy during the ceremony, while players with 2 points or less will receive a Certificate of Participation (sent to their school within the weeks following the tournament)
- We are guests in the schools that host the tournaments. Please help us in keeping the areas as clean as possible.
There will be a “New Player/Parent Orientation Meeting” around 8:45am to help answer any questions and review some of the basic information to know about the day.